Saturday, December 6, 2008

Moly_X_Portrait_3: My First Entry (in my own Moly)

My entry for the Moly X Portrait Exchange. Hola penguino!!!

(Click image to enlarge)
Charcoal, pastel and graphite.

Even after reading Sara's entry on the group blog, I still felt compelled to use charcoal and pastels and pooft what a mess! Not only on the page but the table and the newspaper that covered it, the carpet, my pants and the moly's cover. Thankfully everything is pretty easy to wipe ;D
I also managed to restrain myself and not Photoshop my scan. I'd really have liked it to have been more saturated in reality.
I also wanted to test watercolour in my book before I ruined anyone else's and it appears that even a small amount of water bleeds through. Anyone have any way around this? Would a thin layor of gesso help?

Haven't drawn myself 'realistically' since a grade 7 or 8 assignment and that time I drew myself as a pre-schooler. I wonder if by the 15th iteration of my self-portrait it will start to look something similar to me.

Oh, and if you haven't heard: I REALLY like penguins.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Jo, are you using the large sketchbooks or the japanese folding ones? Watercolor will work it's just super finicky. Although I have painted on watercolor paper and glued it in as well, hee hee. but that might be cheating.

Jo Fong said...

How do u mean finicky? I'm really getting in watercolour (well pencils hehehe) so it would be good to know.

It's a large sketchbook.